Archive for the ‘Scharnhorst’ Category


Scharnhorst ready for battle

January 26, 2012

So, my 1-144 scale battleship is ready for action. She is the German ‘Pocket’ battleship Scharnhorst. It carries 3 turrets with three barrels each containing 7/32 inch bearings. Generally, she can hold about 150 bearings per turret. I am continuously working on it, but recently I worked my butt off to get it ready for battle in Newcastle.

The Scharnhorst in final stages of preparation for battle. She looked good before getting shot at!


Here she is from another angle, on the bench at home after I gave it a paint job.


Polycarb RC ship frame

January 16, 2011

Main frame with turrets, battery, some electronics and the CO2 cylinder attached.So, here we have the frame piece we have been designing for some time now. It’s really starting to come together. Some more work is needed, such as electronics wire routing, pneumatic routing and the ballast pump etc, but the basic shape is done. The frame ‘clips’ inside the hull so that we can quickly pull the frame out and work on it separate to the hull. Should make for easy modifications and maintenance.

The tail detail showing the remote rudder control, and the rear servo mount for the turret rotationSome detail of the rear section (stern that is). The yellow tube you see has a push-rod system in it, which allows us to remotely control the rudders. Hopefully as the rear sinks, the rudder control servo is still dry and hence the ship still functions correctly. Using polycarbonate means that the frame is bulletproof, and also makes maintenance easy because you can see any issues! This piece was milled on the CNC machine (Actually, it was milled incorrectly on the CNC machine, the next revision will be slightly taller.

Front detail showing the front servo mount, and the handles/access holes for the cylinder.Detail of the front of the ship showing the front servo mount (servo is a winch servo which permits full rotation of the turrets) and the access hole for the bottle and regulator. Here, you can also clearly see the detail of the cuts that are made with the CNC machine.

Using QCAD for the design, and Vectric Cut2D for the Gcode creation.Here, you can see the CAD design used to create the main central piece. Using a DXF compatible editor makes this process a snap.


Finally cutting some polycarb!

November 15, 2010

So on Sunday, the machine did its first real cuts.

We started cutting some of the pieces of the ships, and I must say that it went very well.


Had a few problems with the grub screw in the coupler coming out. Not sure why, but it seems that the vibration might be loosening the grub screw, and then all of a sudden, a axis stops moving.

I’m looking at a few solutions for this, one being a mechanical join between the two X axis, another being a electronic solution, and also just simply using some locknut.

Anyway, the pieces came up quite nice.